Job Opportunity at Essex Heritage
Position: Deckhand/Tour Guide
Level: Early career- Non-Exempt (boating experience necessary)
Reports To: Lead Captain of Naumkeag
Date Created: December 2015
Security Clearance: Drug test
Scope and Basic Function: Provides support to lead Captain of Naumkeag landing craft operated by Essex National Heritage Commission for trips to Bakers Island private island.
· Collection of tickets from guests
· Assisting Captain with safety briefing
· Answering questions and directing guests
· Assisting Captain with operation of boat during time underway
· Conducting tours of Bakers Island and maintaining guest safety and conduct while on island
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) Required:
· Facility with IOS technology (iPhone and iPad)
· Well organized, polite and professional.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to interpret historical and regional information for guests and passengers.
· Ability to create and maintain positive personal interaction and relationships
· Makes good judgments and avoids risks to the organization.
Minimum Experience and Education Required:
College Degree preferred
Boating experience required
Historical or tourism industry experience preferred.
Supervisory/Managerial Experience and Responsibility:
No supervisory experience required.
No supervisory duties in this role.
Expected to provide guidance to passengers and guests.
Work Environment (ADA Analysis):
Work is primarily performed on the Naumkeag landing craft in Salem Harbor and the Salem Shipping Channel. The worker is subject to outside environmental conditions. No effective protection from the weather or temperature. The worker is required to have the visual acuity necessary to operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment.
Category of Heavy work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Physical Requirements may include:
· Climbing- ascending and descending stairs or ladders
· Stooping and Kneeling
· Crouching and Crawling
· Reaching and Pulling
· Walking- island is not accessible and must be traversed on foot
· Pushing and Lifting
· Small motor coordination
· Talking/Communicating with guests/passengers
· Repetitive motion
This position will be seasonal for the summer of 2017 from June through September.
Bakers Island is a private 55-acre island off the coast of the North Shore. In 2014 Essex Heritage received the deed to 11 acres containing the Light Station. The rest of the island is still privately occupied and all visitors are considered guests of the Essex Heritage commission. It is extremely important that the privacy of the residents is respected and that all guests of the Island are compliant with the rules and regulation of the Island. Currently the only way for the public to access to this island is with Essex Heritage.
HOW TO APPLY:
Any interested candidates please email your resume to Charles Smith at CharlesS@EssexHeritage.org