- When: Offered Saturdays, July 16 – September 3, 2016
- What: Overnight stays for max of 4 people (no children under 4, no pets)
- Where: Assistant Keepers House at the Bakers Island Light Station!
- Who: Essex Heritage Family Members (or higher category) ONLY! Join or upgrade here!
- How much: $295 including the boat rides for up to 4 people
AVAILABILITY: Saturdays, July 16– September 3, 2016
- Check-In: Saturday, 4 PM at Salem Ferry Dock (located at 10 Blaney Street, Salem MA 01970). Board our boat Naumkeag, leaving the dock at 4:15 PM.
- Check-Out: Sunday, 12:30 PM aboard Naumkeag (at Bakers Island Light Station beach). Naumkeag will return you to the mainland by 1 PM.
- Accommodates: 4
- Bathrooms: 1 ½
- Bedrooms: 3
- Beds: 4 (1 full, 3 twin beds)
- Cost for the overnight is a flat rate of $295
The Assistant Keeper's House is simple–some might say rustic. It is "off the grid" which means it is solar powered with limited amounts of lighting, the furniture is basic, and there is well water and a limited amount of hot water.
- Bedrooms: There are three bedrooms - one with a full sized bed and the others each with a twin bed. The beds have mattresses and pillow and quilt. Overnight renters will need to bring their own sheets (or a sleeping bag).
- Bathrooms: Renters will need to bring their own towels and bathroom supplies (soap, and toothpaste). Limited cold showers available.
- Kitchen: There is a kitchen with a propane fueled stove. Overnight renters will need to bring their own food and drinking water – enough for your dinner, breakfast, and any snacks. We have a basic collection of pots and pans, and a French-press to make coffee. There is a refrigerator, but it is small (dorm size) and no freezer.
Stay at the Assistant Keepers House at the Bakers Island Light Station– just like when the keepers of old still lived there. Your own private getaway…at a Light Station! "Unplug" from life's crazy and relax. Enjoy the 10-acre light station) where you can:
- Picnic at our picnic table
- Swim at the light station’s private beach (it’s a rocky shore, so we recommend some kind of beach/water shoe)
- Soak up the sun – we have 2 outdoor lounge chairs
- Hit the trail! We have a .5 mile walking path that has great views of the cliffs and coast!
- Play games –inside or out! We have board games, and bocce to play on the lawn
- Fishing (with a license)
- And, while we can’t offer a luxury B&B experience, Bill and Brenda, our volunteer lighthouse keepers, will be in the big Keeper’s House next door. They will help get you settled in, answer questions and help in an emergency.
*** Please note you will need to provide your own:
- Bedding: sheets for the beds or sleeping bags
- Soap/bathroom essentials
- Sun block
- Bug repellant
- And remember, everything that you bring with you, you will have to bring up the beach to the Light Station!
- Free, overnight parking at the Salem Ferry Docks (no cars on Island)
- Family/Kid Friendly age 4+
- Peace and quiet, amazing views, spectacular night sky!
- NO Internet or Wifi
- NO TV
- NO Heating/ Air Conditioning
- NO Pets Allowed
- NO Washer/Dryer for laundry
- NOT Wheelchair Accessible
LIGHT STATION & HOUSE RULES:
- Absolutely NO Smoking. There is no fire station on the island and we want to keep everyone safe.
- You are not permitted to leave the property: We ask you to please respect the privacy of the summer residents.
- Join us in taking care of our environment: reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Trash rules: Pack it in, and pack it out.
- You are responsible for putting the rooms back in order prior to departure.
- If Essex Heritage cancels the boat trip: If it is too rainy or stormy or the seas are too rough, and Essex Heritage has to cancel the boat trip, you will be fully refunded the cost of your ticket.
- If ticket holder cancels: If you cancel because you think it is too sunny, rainy, windy or whatever, but the boat still goes, tickets are non-refundable.
- If the boat leaves the dock but cannot land on the island: In the very unlikely event that the boat arrives at Bakers Island but cannot disembark passengers, you will still have experienced a pleasant boat ride and harbor tour. In this case, you will receive a full refund. (Only full refunds will be given if the boat doesn’t leave the dock.)
Because this is a pilot program this year, right now we are taking names and preferred dates - first and second choice - on a list. In a few weeks we will be selling tickets and you will need to confirm and pay at that time. This is a beach landing so you must have enough mobility negotiate the landing ramp and the rocky, uneven stone beach. The boat will go rain or shine – but not in the case of rough seas or stormy weather. This adventure is for Essex Heritage members only (Not a member? Not a problem. Join or upgrade here!).
Reservations are not eligible for any discounts at this time.