Middleton was first settled in 1659 and was officially incorporated in 1728. The town grew as a farming community, mostly due to its location on the Ipswich River, with homesteads of hundreds of acres. During the 18th century Middleton contained a vital ironworks industry, located in the area of what is now Mill and Liberty streets. Today, Middleton is a residential community with beautiful open spaces and conservation lands including portions of Harold Parker State Forest and the Boxford State Forest, as well as the Peabody Reservation, Sanford Reservation and Middleton Conservation Land. Fun Fact: the name Middleton is derived from its location mid-way between the important early settlements of Salem and Andover.