West Newbury is located approximately 40 miles north of Boston, in Essex County. The area was first settled in 1635 as part of neighboring Newbury. Today, West Newbury is a community characterized by rolling hills with broad valleys, open fields and an unspoiled rural charm. The Merrimack River, which flows along the northern border, provides scenic beauty and recreational boating. There are many hiking, horseback riding and cross-country skiing trails woven throughout the community.