The historic building that houses the Firehouse Center for the Arts was built as a market house and lyceum by the citizens of Newburyport in 1823.
Fish Flake Hill, the area overlooking the Beverly Harbor, is the oldest part of Beverly. The first settlers, led by Roger Conant, came over to "Cape An Syde" from Salem in 1626.
The Fish House is the only municipal fish house on the East Coast. Historically seafaring fishing village, Swampscott hosted a large commercial fishing fleet in its protected bay.
An English Cannon, cast in 1798, was captured during the War of 1812 by the Salem Privateer, Grand Turk. It was bought by the Swampscott fishermen in 1835 for use as a fog signal.
Commanding one of the finest panoramic views of Gloucester Harbor, the artist Fitz Henry Lane designed and built this austere but romantic granite house in 1848-49 with Gothic vaulted chambers,...
Fort Sewall was first established in 1644 as a defensive breastwork on Gale's Head, one of this area's rocky headlands.
Friendship is a replica of a three-masted, square rigged “East Indiaman”, the type of merchant ship that made Salem a leader in opening international trade with the Far East, Europe and Russia in...
Front Beach is an active beach on Sandy Bay pointing toward the east. The beach is also within an easy walk from the Rockport village, and from many of the inns and hotels nearby.
The earliest portion of the Gedney House was built in 1665. Significant renovations to the structure in 1712 and 1800 resulted in dramatic changes to the house's appearance.