Swampscott, MA 01907
The Humphrey Memorial House is the location of the Swampscott Historical Society. It is Swampscott's oldest house (and one of the oldest in the U.S.), built ca. 1637. The building was home to John Humphrey, the first deputy governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, under governor John Winthrop. Originally located on what is now Elmwood Road (a plaque marks the site), the house was relocated to its present site in 1891 to make way for a development designed by Frederick Law Olmsted.
- Historic Resources