Rocky Hill Meeting House

photo - Rocky Hill Meeting House
4 Elm Street
Amesbury, MA 01913
978-462-2634

Rocky Hill Meeting House is one of the best preserved examples of an original 18th Century meeting house, and it is the least altered of any 18th Century country meeting houses in Massachusetts. It was built in 1785, replacing a c. 1715 meeting house for the West Parish of Salisbury. Rocky Hill Meeting House was strategically placed along the only road that crossed the swift Powow River (via ferry) and led travelers to the Salisbury Point area, and then onward toward Portsmouth. In fact, George Washington paused here to greet the townspeople on his northward journey in 1789. The Rocky Hill Meeting House has served no active congregation since the mid-19th century, which has led to its remarkable state of preservation. Its interior has remained virtually unchanged, with its original high pulpit, pentagonal sounding board, box pews, deacon's desk and gallery on three sides. Rocky Hill Meeting House survives as an outstanding example of early American church architecture.

Hours: 

Museum grounds are open daily from dawn to dusk. Please contact Historic New England for open hours, special events or to arrange a group visit.

Categories: 

  • Historic Resources
  • Early Settlement Trail
  • Museums

Property Owner/Organization: 

Historic New England
Essex Coastal Scenic Byway
Rail Trail
Rail Trail Trailhead