Village of Annisquam & Annisquam Lighthouse (1800)

Village of Annisquam & Annisquam Lighthouse (1800)
Rte 127/Washington Street, Annisquam
Gloucester, MA 01930

A quiet, secluded village in Gloucester stretching along the Annisquam River. Annisquam Light was erected in 1801 to mark the entrance to the Annisquam River at Wigwam Point. The river connected Ipswich Bay to Gloucester harbor following the construction of the Blynman Canal. Annisquam Harbor Lighthouse’s wooden frame was replaced with the existing brick tower in 1897. The quaint light is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Hours: 

Open air, no public access to the lighthouse.

Site Notes & Advisories: 

Exterior viewing only. Annisquam Light is not open to the public.

Categories: 

  • Historic Resources
  • Maritime Theme Trail
  • Scenic Vistas
Essex Coastal Scenic Byway
Rail Trail
Rail Trail Trailhead