Adventure to a place like nowhere else!
Boat & Light Station Tour Schedule
Essex Heritage will be hosting guided boat tours aboard landing craft, Naumkeag, to Bakers Island Light Station again this June – September!
- Tours offered Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
- Tours will also run on Monday, September 3rd (Labor Day)
- Departures are at 10:30 AM on Friday, 10:30 AM & 2:00 PM on Saturday/Sunday
There are 3 ways to get your tickets:
2. Tickets may be purchased at Essex Heritage's Visitor Information Desk located in the National Park Service Visitor Center, 2 New Liberty St, Salem.
3. Tickets may be purchased at the dock before departure providing any seats are still available.
Please Note: It is recommended that tickets be purchased online in advance. Your ticket reservation will be held at the boat; no ticket will be mailed to you.
Boat Departure Location: Naumkeag departs from the Salem Ferry dock at 10 Blaney Street, Salem MA 01970.
What You Need To Know Before You Go!
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does this cost?
- Adults: $35
- Children (4-12 yrs): $25
- Essex Heritage Members receive a 20% discount! Not a member? Not a problem. Click here to become a member. (New members: A discount code will be provided on your membership confirmation)
How long is the trip?
About 2.5 hours round-trip
Are there restrictions on who can go?
YES. All passengers must be:
- At least 4 years old (No infants; in arms or baby carriers)
- Capable of negotiating the boat ramp and the rugged island terrain without assistance
What is the trip like?
It is an adventure aboard Essex Heritage's landing craft Naumkeag...
1. Arrive at our stoney beach.
2. Disembark and follow our guide up to the Light Station.
3. Enjoy a guided tour of the 10 acres owned by Essex Heritage with panoramic views of the coast from Boston to Gloucester, followed by time to explore the site, trails and gift shop!
Please Note: The lighthouse cannot be climbed at this time.
What should I wear?
- Rubber-soled shoes.
- Flip-flops not recommended; NO heels.
- Comfortable clothing.
IMPORTANT: It's colder on the water and there is no shelter from the weather on our open boat. Bring an extra layer!
What if it rains or is stormy?
Boat trips depend on the weather. Naumkeag has no rain or sun cover on it. You will be exposed to the elements going to and from the island.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
• If Essex Heritage cancels the boat trip: If it is too rainy or stormy or the seas are too rough, and Essex Heritage has to cancel the boat trip, you will be fully refunded the cost of your ticket
• If ticket holder cancels: If you cancel because you think it is too sunny, rainy, windy, etc, but the boat still goes, tickets are non-refundable.
• If the boat leaves the dock but cannot land on the island: In the very unlikely event that the boat arrives at Bakers Island but cannot disembark passengers, you will still have experienced a pleasant boat ride and harbor tour. In this case, you will receive a refund for 50% of your ticket cost(s). (Only full refunds will be given if the boat doesn’t leave the dock.)
How will I know if my tour has been cancelled?
Essex Heritage staff will do our best to email all ticketed passengers in advance if your trip has been cancelled. We will also keep an updated weather advisory line at 978-998-2188.
Is there food or drinking water?
There is limited food and drinking water available for sale at the Light Station. You are free to bring your own, but please take everything off the island with you. If you carried it on then you must carry it back.
Is smoking allowed?
Smoking is NOT permitted on the boat or anywhere on the island.
Are there bathroom facilities?
The bathroom facilities are limited. There are bathrooms at the Salem Ferry dock, but no bathrooms on the boat. Once on the island, there is a composting toilet facility at the Light Station.
Can I take my private boat or kayak to the island?
NO! The island is private and nobody is allowed to land. We are respecting the residents’ concerns by prohibiting all public access to the Light Station except for those coming aboard our boat. Bakers Island Light Station is ONLY accessible to the public through escorted, guided boat tours provided by Essex Heritage.
Please call Essex Heritage's Visitor Information Desk (located in the National Park Service Visitor Center) at 978-224-2036.
Essex Heritage does not assume responsibility for any lost or stolen personal property.
On occasion Essex Heritage will host special trips to Bakers Island Light Station, from a specialized tour for Lighthouse Lovers to a culinary adventure seeking Wild Edibles, we are looking forward to offering a variety of special tours this summer. Check out our Events page for a full listing of special tours.