Support for Educators & Partners
Teacher Professional Development in Place-Based Service Learning
Working in partnership with the National Park Service, Essex Heritage offers a “train the trainer” program, called Park for Every Classroom, that supports K-12 educators in creating projects with their students that utilize their communities’ natural, cultural, and historic resources. Graduate credit is available for participants.
Essex Heritage also offers customized professional development in place-based service learning, tailored to fit your needs. Please contact Education Coordinator Beth Beringer to learn more at BethB@essexheritage.org.
- November 2016: Become a history detective! See what we found at a recent Professional Development workshop in Haverhill.
Essex Heritage organizes education forums for heritage sites, organizations, and education professionals to share best practices, encourage collaboration, and learn about opportunities.
Education Programming Presentations
Essex Heritage provides training and presentations highlighting strategies for engaging teachers and cultural sites in developing projects and programming that are inclusive and relevant. Please contact Education Coordinator Beth Beringer to learn more at BethB@essexheritage.org.
Presentation topics include:
- Training in Place-Based Service Learning -- how to use places to teach cross-disciplinary knowledge and skills while encouraging stewardship.
- Creating Effective Partnerships -- how utilizing partnerships increases impacts and why place-based service learning can be a powerful, transferable education model for any community.
- "Elusive Inclusivity” -- highlighting the rich learning that can occur when students are asked to explore a place from multiple points of view.
- “New Immigration” -- lessons learned from the Caribbean Connections program, a project that involved English Language Learning students in discovering ties between their communities and their history.
- Public History -- exploring the “promise and pitfalls” of public history interpretation.