Currently accepting reservations for Summer 2018 - please contact email@example.com.
- Read a first hand account on Leah’s blog to learn more about what the experience is like.
- When: Offered Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays, July – early September
- What: Overnight stays for 4 people (no children under 4, no pets)
- Where: Assistant Keepers House at the Bakers Island Light Station!
- Who: Essex Heritage Voyager Members (or higher category) ONLY! Join or upgrade here!
- How much: $350 including the boat rides for 4 people. Up to 2 additional guests may be added to your reservation at $70 per person.
- Accommodates: 6
- Bathrooms: 1 ½
- Bedrooms: 3
- Beds: 5 (1 queen, 4 twin beds)
- Cost for the overnight is a flat rate of $350 for parties of 4. Up to 2 additional guests may be added to your reservation at $70 per person.
The Assistant Keeper's House is simple–some might say rustic. It is "off the grid" which means it is solar powered with limited amounts of lighting, the furniture is basic, and there is filtered well water and a limited amount of hot water.
- Bedrooms: There are three bedrooms - one with a queen sized bed and the others with two twin beds each. The beds have mattresses, a pillow and a quilt. Overnight renters will need to bring their own sheets (or a sleeping bag).
- Bathrooms: Renters will need to bring their own towels and bathroom supplies (soap, and toothpaste). Limited cold showers available.
- Kitchen: There is a kitchen with a propane fueled stove. Overnight renters will need to bring their own food – enough for your dinner, breakfast, and any snacks. We have a basic collection of pots and pans, cups, utensils, plates, and a French-press to make coffee. There is a refrigerator, but it is small (dorm size).
Stay at the Assistant Keepers House at the Bakers Island Light Station – just like when the keepers of old still lived there. Your own private getaway… at a Light Station! "Unplug" from life's crazy and relax.
- Picnic at our picnic table
- Swim at the light station’s private beach (it’s a rocky shore, so we recommend some kind of beach/water shoe)
- Soak up the sun – we have several outdoor lounge chairs
- Hit the trail! We have a .5 mile walking path that has great views of the cliffs and coast!
- Play games –inside or out! We have board games, and classic lawn games like bocce and croquet!
- Fishing (with a license)
- And, while we can’t offer a luxury B&B experience, our 2018 volunteer lighthouse keepers, will be in the Main Keeper’s House next door. They will help get you settled in, answer questions and offer assistance in case of an emergency.
Please note you will need to provide your own:
- Bedding: sheets for the beds or sleeping bags
- Soap/bathroom essentials
- Sun block
- Bug repellent
- And remember, everything that you bring with you, you will have to bring up the beach to the Light Station!
- Free, overnight parking at the Salem Ferry Docks (no cars on Island)
- Family/Kid Friendly (age 4+)
- Peace and quiet, amazing views, spectacular night sky!
- NO TV
- NO Heating/ Air Conditioning
- NO Pets Allowed
- NO Washer/Dryer for laundry
- NOT Wheelchair Accessible
LIGHT STATION & HOUSE RULES
- Absolutely NO Smoking. There is no fire station on the island and we want to keep everyone safe.
- You are not permitted to leave the property. We ask you to please respect the privacy of the summer residents.
- Join us in taking care of our environment: reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Trash rules: Pack it in, and pack it out.
- You are responsible for putting the rooms back in order prior to departure.
- If Essex Heritage cancels the boat trip: If it is too rainy or stormy or the seas are too rough, and Essex Heritage has to cancel the boat trip, you will be fully refunded the cost of your overnight.
- If ticket holder cancels: If you cancel because you think it is too sunny, rainy, windy or whatever, but the boat still goes, reservations are non-refundable.
- If the boat leaves the dock but cannot land on the island: In the very unlikely event that the boat arrives at Bakers Island but cannot disembark passengers, you will still have experienced a pleasant boat ride and harbor tour. In this case, you will receive a full refund. (Only full refunds will be given if the boat doesn’t leave the dock.)