97.9 WHAV FM
There are two locations associated with this event. A reception with exhibits takes place at Buttonwoods Museum, 240 Water St., Haverhill, and the graveside dedication takes place at Hilldale Cemetery, Haverhill.
An earlier pioneer of the amateur journalism movement, Charles. W. “Tryout” Smith, is being honored in September with a ceremony capped by the placement of a headstone at his relatively obscure Haverhill gravesite. Smith began publishing the Monthly Visitor from his Haverhill home in 1888, mostly to help his brother Frank raise money after his brother became too ill to work. The Smiths turned out 118 issues, ending a decade later. It was Smith’s retirement publication, however, “The Tryout,” that earned him his nickname and place in history, according to WHAV historian David Goudsward. Securing a grant from the Aeroflex Foundation, Goudsward contracted with Atwood Memorial to craft a headstone in Haverhill’s Hilldale Cemetery. It will be dedicated Saturday, Sept. 22, to the man who gave so many prominent authors—including Howard P. Lovecraft—their starts. Taking place during Essex Heritage’s Trails & Sails, a display of Smith’s work, release of a commemorative booklet and self-guided tours with Lovecraft significance take place between 1 and 4 p.m., at Buttonwoods Museum, 240 Water St. Sites include the Peaslee Harrison House and Pentucket Burial Ground. Dedication of the headstone takes place at 6:30 p.m., at Hilldale Cemetery.
It is suggested participants wear suitable shoes if they plan to attend the graveside dedication.
240 Water St., Haverhill, MA, 01830