First Parish Church of Newbury
First Parish Church of Newbury is located in the Newbury Historic District. The current building is the 3rd for this parish, which was “gathered” in 1635, and was the "Mother Church" in the Newburyport area for many, many years. Come in to look at the beautiful interior and the newly restored steeple, and then visit our Burying Grounds across the street. There will be headstone washing and a short scavenger hunt going on. Many of the first Newbury settlers are buried here and there are many examples of the fine stonework done by early carvers.
The terrain of the Burying Grounds is uneven so appropriate foot wear is suggested.
20 High Road, Newbury, MA, 01951
FromI-95, take the exit 57 for Newburyport; go east on Route 113 for approximately 5 miles into the Town of Newbury; Route 113 turns into Route 1A; the Church is located on Route 1A, on the right shortly after you enter the Town of Newbury. There is parking at the back of the Church building.