Plum Island Aerodrome
Join us for guided tours of the Burgess Aviation Museum! Tours feature photographs, artifacts, and a diorama celebrating the 1910 flying field at Plum Island in Newbury – New England’s first – and the current Plum Island Airport. From April to August 1910, Marblehead yacht builder W. Starling Burgess conducted a series of increasingly successful test flights on biplanes he designed and built. Flights at the current airport began as early as 1926, and commercial operation began in August 1933, continuing to the present day, where it is a well-loved landmark for locals and visitors to Plum Island alike.
24 Plum Island Turnpike, Newbury, MA, 01951
From Rt. 1A (High Street, Newburyport, or High Road, Newbury), take Rolfe's Lane north/east to Water Street. Turn right (east) onto Water Street, which becomes Plum Island Turnpike. The airport parking lot is about a half mile down the road on the right, just past a large metal quonset hangar. The Burgess Aviation Museum is in the small frame building just past the parking lot. From Market Square in downtown Newburyport, follow Water Street east toward Plum Island and follow the same directions.