First Church in Salem, Unitarian Universalist
Designed by church member Francis Peabody and Boston architect Gridley J.F. Bryant, this magnificent meetinghouse dates to 1836. It was transformed in the 1870s to reflect Victorian taste: lofty ceilings, carved mahogany furnishings, and dark red fabrics. Other features include stained glass windows by Tiffany and La Farge, the “Hawthorne Pew” (named for Nathaniel Hawthorne), and historical plaques tracing church history from 1629 Puritanism to 2017 Unitarian Universalism. Members were victims of the Witch Trials, abolitionists, suffragists, philanthropists, and Transcendentalists. One minister, Rev. Thomas Barnard Jr., famously persuaded the British to leave Salem in peace on February 26, 1775.
316 Essex Street, Salem, MA, 01970