We offer exciting opportunities for students to visit Bakers Island Light Station as part of our Bakers Education programs. These programs can be customized to meet individual needs or curriculum requirements.
Join us to explore the challenges that people have grappled with in this unique environment historically and today. Examine artifacts to discover how people met these challenges in the past, and use this knowledge to help develop ways to meet challenges going forward.
During the program you may:
- Use charts and maps to navigate our course out to the island onboard our amphibious vessel Naumkeag
- Design your own lighthouse using scientific principles to guide your ideas
- Practice the responsibilities and tasks associated with being a lighthouse keeper or island resident across different centuries on Bakers, and learn how many risked their lives to keep mariners safe
- Experience living off the grid as you weigh the pros and cons of the different energy sources used at the light station over the years
- Help us solve some of the continuing environmental challenges we face on the island
For more information, please email Beth Beringer at BethB@EssexHeritage.org