Essex Heritage operates and maintains the 10-acre historic Bakers Island Light Station at Bakers Island, with the mission of public access and preservation.
Bakers Island Light Station is located on Bakers Island in Salem Sound. The 10 acre light station is located in the northwest quadrant of the island, and has been owned and operated by the federal government since 1798. The only way for the public to access the light station is aboard our landing craft the Naumkeag.
The deed to historic Bakers Island Light Station was transferred on August 27, 2014 from the United States government to the Essex National Heritage Commission (Essex Heritage). Since then, Essex Heritage and supporters have worked to restore the buildings and grounds.
During the summer season, Essex Heritage offers overnights at the light station, either camping or stays in the historic assistant keepers house, public boat tours, and volunteer opportunities.