Photographers Get Snapping! All photographers are invited to submit images that capture the unique character of the Essex National Heritage Area (Essex County) or speak to Essex Heritage's role in preserving the historic, cultural, and natural places of Essex County.
Photographs must be taken within the Heritage Area (Essex County) and represent one of the three contest categories listed below. A panel of guest judges will select three winners from each category, and photos will also be eligible for a Grand Prize or People's Choice awards. Please read the complete Rules & Requirements for instructions on how to enter!
Deadline for submission is: December 17, 2021. All photos entered must have been captured between January 1, 2021 and December 17, 2021 to be eligible.
PHOTO CONTEST MATERIALS:
- 2021 Rules & Requirements (.pdf)
- 2021 Entry form (.pdf)
- Model Release Form (.pdf)
- Click here to pay the entry fee electronically.
2021 CONTEST CATEGORIES:
- Historic ENHA: Show us places and scenes that remind you of the Heritage Area’s past! These may be photos of current-day historic sites, people engaging with historic themes, or simply landscapes that are connected to local history.
- New Perspectives: Capture a landmark from an uncommon angle, a familiar landscape at a unique moment, or people and objects that are often out of frame. This is the category for your most creative shots or drone photography. We want to see your favorite places in the Heritage Area from new perspectives!
- On the Move: The Essex National Heritage Area offers many unique and fun activities for residents and visitors. Share scenes of people keeping busy outdoors: walking trails, biking roads, volunteering, gardening, sightseeing, or otherwise exploring nature. Capture people being active and spending leisure time!
- For the Young Photographers! (ages 5-17): Young photographers of all skill levels are invited to submit photographs to the Photo Contest! Share pictures taken in Essex County this year. Capture photos at home or while visiting parks, beaches, downtowns, farms - wherever you find exciting shots!
Check back again for upcoming details about the 2021 Essex Heritage Photo Contest Youth Category!
2021 DISPLAYS AND PRIZES
Winners will be notified and announced in early February 2021. Winning images will be displayed at the National Park Service Visitor Center in Salem (2 New Liberty Street, Salem, MA) and at the office of the Merrimack Valley Planning Commission (160 Main Street, Haverhill, MA) for up to one year. Images will be used in Essex Heritage publications as well as posted on the Essex Heritage website at EssexHeritage.org and other social media outlets.
The 2020 Photo Contest
2020 WINNING IMAGES & PRIZES
Winning photos may be found HERE. These images can be viewed at the ENHA 2020 Photo Contest Exhibit the Salem Armory Visitor Center (2 New Liberty Street, Salem). They are also being exhibited this spring at the offices of North Shore Bank (Main Street, Peabody) and the Merrimack Valley Planning Commission (Haverhill).
Prizes awarded during the 2020 Photo Contest:
- Grand Prize (1): $150
- 1st Place (3): $100 gift certificate to Essex River Cruises and a membership to the Ipswich River Watershed Association
- 2nd Place (3): Family membership to The Trustees and $50 gift certificate for photography lessons at SEE Shore Photography
- 3rd Place (3): Individual membership to The Trustees and National Park passport
- People's Choice (1): $100 gift certificate to REI
An Awards Reception celebrating the 2019 and 2020 winners was held virtually on February 23, 2021. The 2020 Photo Contest was a great success. Thank you to all participants, supporters, guest judges, and sponsors of the Photo Contest!