Marblehead Lighthouse(1835)

Marblehead Lighthouse
5 Follett St
Marblehead, MA 01945

Marblehead Light Station is one of about 14 examples of pyramidal skeletal lighthouses surviving in the United States today, as well as the only one of its kind still standing in New England. The 105-foot tall, cast-iron structure with a central tower cylinder was built in 1896, although Marblehead Light Station was first established in 1835. As Marblehead Neck grew in popularity as a summer resort, the surrounding residential development eventually obscured the original 20-foot tall, conical brick tower. In 1883, a light was placed atop a 100-foot tall wooden mast next to the original light tower until the present tower was constructed. Marblehead Light Station is located on the north point of Marblehead Neck at the east entrance of Marblehead Harbor. It is within Chandler Hovey Park, which is managed by the town of Marblehead and remains open to the public all year.

Hours: 

Lighthouse closed to the public. Marblehead Light is currently licensed to the Marblehead Rotary Club and is open to the public by special arrangement only.

Categories: 

  • Historic Resources
  • Maritime Theme Trail
  • Scenic Vistas

Property Owner/Organization: 

U.S. Coast Guard, Marblehead Rotary Club
Essex Coastal Scenic Byway
Rail Trail
Rail Trail Trailhead