Haverhill, MA 01835
Rocks Village, in Haverhill's East Parish, was settled circa 1643. A ferry was established soon after. East Broadway, one of the oldest roads in Haverhill, leads into Rocks village which then follows along the Merrimack River into Merrimacport. In the 18th century, Rocks Village evolved into a maritime site. Several of Haverhill's shipyards were located here. It was also a center for trade of both imported and exported goods. Comb manufacturing was also carried on here. Haverhill's industrial growth in the 19th century bypassed the East Parish, preserving much of the rural Georgian architecture. Among structures of interest are the hand-cranked drawbridge and the firehouse. Rocks Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In April 2013, The Rocks Village Memorial Association recieved a Partnership Grant from Essex Heritage. With the goal of sustaining the 1840 Rocks Village Hand Tub House (fire station) as an educational resource and community activity center, the association engaged a qualified contractor to restore the roof of the city-owned historic building. The hand tub house is located on the banks of the Merrimack River in the Rocks Village section of Haverhill's East Parish.
- Historic Resources
- Early Settlement Trail
- Partnership Grants